One of the most breathtakingly beautiful sites in the UK is in Dorset, and it is less than a three hours drive from London. The area we visited is called Durdle Door and Lulworth Cove which are a 5 minute drive from each other but most people walk on the coastal path which is pretty awesome. A hiker’s paradise.
I’ve compiled a list of things I wish I knew before I visited!
- Durdle Door is part of the Jurassic coast which stretches ninty-five miles across the south of England. There is a lovely beach at the Durdle Door Arch which is safe for children to play and swim in.
- The Durdle Door Arch (natural limestone) is accessible by a long walk from Lulworth Cove or by walking down many steps from the Durdle Door car park at the top. There is no easy access! If you have trouble walking — then it’s difficult to get down to the bottom, and buggies are out of the question. It’s even harder walking back to the car park – pure uphill struggle which takes a good 15 minutes. Took us longer as our 4 year olds shoe kept coming off.
- There is nothing to eat in Durdle Door! There is an ice cream seller and tea vendor in the car park but they are shut on Mondays. Take a picnic with a blanket — there are no picnic tables or benches. For food you have to walk or drive to Lulworth Cove, or buy snacks from the convenience store in Lulworth Holiday Park.
- Wear walking shoes/boots — sandals, flip-flops or heels are not appropriate especially on the slippery steps which can be muddy from rain.
- Toilets are only in the car park!!
- Your pay and display car park ticket is valid at both Durdle Door and Lulworth Cove car parks which is useful as it’s £5 for a 4 hours stay.
- The coastal walks can go on for miles and miles — you can pick up a guide from the Heritage Centre in Lulworth Cove.
- Lulworth Cove has a fish and chip restaurant, as well as two other restaurants, a chocolate shop and an ice cream shop as well as a few other. You have to walk past these to get to the Cove bit.
- Be careful as there are many steep rolling cliffs, whilst fun to explore – don’t slip or you might die!!
- After all that walking visit Lulworth Cove Inn for some top quality food.