Recipe — Pesto
Who doesn’t love pesto? Actually I know one or two people, but apart from them nobody else. After realising that one of the main ingredients in shop-bought pesto may not be vegetarian or halal i.e. parmesan I thought it’s time to make my own. Whether parmesan is halal or not doesn’t concern me anymore because for this pesto I don’t even need to use it or buy pesto ever again! I came across this recipe on Crumbsfood which is a fantastic blog, and I’ve kind of adapted it and wanted to share it with everyone, especially mums who need to cook for their broods and quick. And also I can’t find it on Crumbsfood anymore, otherwise I’d just share the link!
Now the amounts are a bit vague but it always works so just go with it. I realise it’s not authentically Italian but it tastes much better than any shop bought stuff and you can use what you have in your cupboard.
- 25-35g of spinach/basil/rocket/watercress or a combination of either
- large handful of walnuts/pine nuts/cashews/pistachios or a combination of either
- 4 – 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- large handful cheddar cheese or any other hard cheese
- 1 clove of garlic
- pinch of freshly ground pepper
- A squeeze of lemon juice (optional)
- pinch of salt (optional)
Add everything to a food processor and blitz. Add more lemon juice if the mixture is too dry. Then add to freshly boiled pasta or on whatever you like. It will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days.